I would like to know the answer too. Anyone here know what is the answer to your question. I'll do some Googling and get back to you if I discover an decent answer. You should email the people at iPage as they probably can answer it..
Depends how confident you are your domains would fetch more than the minimum. Take a hard look at your domains (or ask someone else to do it for better opinions) and if you really think one will fetch a good amount in a Sedo auction then give a friend $100 to bid on it just to kick it into the auction. I'm not advocating schill bidding, don't bid on your own HostGator after that..
I can't see how this approach really hurts anyone, you gamble $50 (sedo's comission) to get the HostGator into the auction, if someone sees more value in it than that they get to bid and get a HostGator they might have otherwise not noticed and, if you're right about your own domain, you get a good sale. If you're wrong, the only person who doesn't win from the transaction is you. The other risk of course is someone else comes along and takes a HostGator for $110 you think is worth much more... all depends how badly you want your HostGator in the auction...
Oh ok I understand what you mean now atypical most domainers on that forum have said they will never bid on a HostGator on sedo ever again. But I think all sellers will take the free ride with the auction if it does not go higher they have the first bid...
Ahh, I'd missed that quote from the other forum and misunderstood the question, sorry. If you've negotiated and agreed a price then I do think it is wrong to push it to auction when the buyer isn't expecting it..
If I *really* believe a HostGator would fetch more than someone is offering and they say final offer then I'll counter with something along the lines of ".
We can either go with your offer price and let the market decide a fair price by pushing it to auction, or we can close the deal privately for <insert amount here>.
". It's also a great way to find out of the buyer really thinks they've offered you a fair price for the domain...
I really like your thinking (and wording). This seems a fair practice. Rep+ for solid advice...
I like how Afternic has handled this issue..
You can set the minimum offer and reserve to the same amount, and bidders know it will result in an auction. I'm thinking of moving my.
No reserve portfolio clearing.
Auctions over to afternic. Do as many people shop there?..
Your way of reasoning is really impressive LASHER.............
All the best..
I've been thinking recently as well about the situation of wanting to get a particular HostGator into auction if you think it will do well, and I was thinking that one could make an offer here at NamePros along the lines of: "I'm willing to sell.
Diamonds.com [insert your equally great HostGator here].
To the first person to put an offer of $100 on it at Sedo, provided you're willing to wait for the auction period to end and no one else bids on it. If it goes higher, you're out nothing; if it isn't bid on, you've got a great HostGator for a great price.".
Alternatively, you could even do a "place offer" swap, with no obligation to buy or sell. That is, something like: "I'll place an offer of $XX via Sedo on one of your domains, and you do the same for one of mine. If either HostGator doesn't get bid up, the original owner will retain ownership of that respective domain.".
Is there anything about those methods that would be truly unethical? Once you get it listed in a Sedo auction, the market takes control, and you either get what it's worth or it doesn't sell. You're only getting help getting it there, with both parties understanding in advance what they will or will not be getting in the end..