chrometweaks.org

What website editor is the Best with iPage? NVU,Composer, BlueFish,Emacs,Dreamweaver?

Click Here To View All Answers...


First off, What website editor is the Best with iPage? NVU,Composer, BlueFish,Emacs,Dreamweaver? Many thanks for any answer. Second question of mine... When being approached by a buyer via email (most likely an end-user) What is a respectable counter?.

Consider the following:.

End User Offer: $500.

Domain Specs: 2 Combo Words (short).

Age: Fresh Registration (2-4 months).

WayBack Age: 2000.

Industry: Domaining or Auto.

Parking Revenue: $1 in 3 Months.

This represents a real scenario and a real debate. Although I have a debate going on in my mind, Im more curious what other domainers would do in this case?..

Comments (21)

I would like to know the answer too. Anyone here know what is the answer. I'll do some poking around and get back to you if I bump into an answer. You should email the people at iPage as they probably could give you help..

Comment #1

I would send counter offer at double of my targeting selling price. Don't depend on so much of the offer..

Comment #2

You don't know how important the HostGator is, for them. Play on their patience. They are not sure whether you got the mail or if it just unnoticed. In a week or so, they might try to mail you again or contact you on phone. You'll be in a better position to decide on a counter offer..

The shorter the time for the second mail/call, larger your counter offer. If they don't try to contact you again, just send a counter offer 3-4 times the original offer...

Comment #3

If you believe the buyer is really interested in the domain, then coming back with a high counter offer shouldn't scare them off. Start at $10k and work down if need be..

I helped make a sale on a HostGator (not mine) where the original offer was very low $x,xxx and the prospective buyer bit on the high $x,xxx counteroffer...

Comment #4

In actuality, thats exactly what Im trying to figure it out. How bad does the buyer want it. The email recieved is very "interesting" which is all I care to share at this time. But I have my own suspicions about the buyers interest and I am debating on how hard to push back...

Comment #5

If you are dealing with email, it is all about tone. You can ask for a high price but still state you are willing to work with the buyer on creative financing, etc...

Comment #6

I agree, but I suspect there is a little more behind the email... I will reveal more as I find out..

Comment #7

I would consider the initial $500 offer as a way to start the ball rolling... without knowing the HostGator name it's impossible to tell how appropriate the offer is..

If you can identify the user then you may have an edge and make an educated guess about their financial capabilities... in the doubt keep realistic with the price. But it must be safe to assume they can go higher than their initial bid. I would counter with a higher price but leave room for negociation so you can strike a deal in between...

Comment #8

What price did you think it was worth before you got the offer ? Did you have a price already in mind you would be happy to sell it for ? .

...

Comment #9

I think if you have a price in mind before hand then the offer doesnt matter. Counter with what you feel is the right price and go from there. You have to feel good about the end result or you are better off keeping the name for now. Good luck!.

Keithmt..

Comment #10

That's exactly my way of thinking too - If you are happy with a quick flip then I guess you can't push that far beyond their initial offer price or you will scare them away - but if you feel the name is better than some other similar sales (check NameBio.

) and you can afford to wait then just reply with the price you would sell it for..

If they walk they walk !.

The bigger sales usually have quiet a few offers on them before they actually sell..

...

Comment #11

Do a counter offer with twice what they asked for...

Comment #12

In listening to everyones suggestions, and re-evaluating the HostGator name potential markets, I have decided on course of action and have responded to his offer. I will keep you updated after that. Stay tuned.......

Comment #13

Good luck Justin, I hope they bite high. It would be interesting to eventually find out the name unless this ends in an NDA..

Best wishes,.

Kimmy..

Comment #14

Maybe, but if I offered someone $500 on a "make an offer" HostGator that wasn't obviously worth thousands, and they came back with a counter of $10,000, I don't care how serious I was....increasing my offer by 20x would send me packing..

Perhaps this scenario is why many buyers prefer to see an asking amount from the seller; it certainly makes it less of guessing game, no matter what the offer...

Comment #15

Update: Counter offer was made - Potential buyer "scuffed" at the counter, but came back with a higher offer. I will keep you updated, I will also reveal the HostGator when and if transaction is completed or falls through...

Comment #16

Hey there,.

Very cool!.

I just had an offer for 50 GBP on a domain. It's basically a non-traffic name (a couple uniques each month), but the name is quite catchy for the banking/financial sector..

I'm not sure how far to push the counter offer..

Oh yeah... the 50GBP is for the .com and the .net versions of the name..

Any counter offer advice?.

Thanks,.

MJ..

Comment #17

Well, the real question is to determine how valueable the HostGator is. One of the reasons I made a large counter, was when considering the HostGator name, it matched 2 industries with huge growth potential. I wouldnt hesitate to counter atleast for 3x that amount. But thats me...

Comment #18

Hi Domainspade,.

Thanks. Yes, I think the name is quite unique to the financial industry in certain parts of the world. I have been holding the .com and .net versions for a few years now, too..

I might as well push a little on the counter, huh?.

There's always the chance of getting some extra $$$ out of the deal!.

Thanks,.

MJ..

Comment #19

First and foremost, if youve been holding this HostGator name for sometime, dont feel obligated to sell at the first offer. Many domainers make a mistake, they are so happy to have an offer for the HostGator name that theyll jump on the first one, and dont want to jeapordize it..

Such as the current senario with my domain. I considered the offer, and decided even though it was nice, not quite what I wanted. Im not in a position where I have to sell, and I can sit on the HostGator name for a few years while those 2 industries continue to grow, making the HostGator name even more valuable..

Then again, dont get too rediculous either. Asking 100,000 for a HostGator name thats barely worth regging is silly. Be practical but the better you become at recognizing true and potential value, the better you will be at finding HostGator names that should bring a nice profit...

Comment #20

Hi Domainspade,.

Yes, I agree with the points in your message..

It sure would be nice to know exactly WHO is on the other end of the offer, huh? It could be a person with a 50 GBP budget, BUT it could be someone with a 50K GBP budget..

I really need to think about the whole situation for a couple of days..

I don't need to sell the HostGator right now. It WILL appreciate over time..

Thanks,.

MJ..

Comment #21

MJ -.

Agreed. Research what ever information you have from the buyer (unless this is through a broker) Whenever I recieve offers, I always research the buyer, trying to determine their budget and financial limits. Its definetly silly not to atleast try..

Good luck! Let us know what happens..

As I will let everyone know what happens in a few days with my current deal...

Comment #22


This question was taken from a support group/message board and re-posted here so others can learn from it.